Venison Madeira Hotpot
Venison is lean and delicious. It is gamey and if you want to lessen that, then you could replace some of the stock with soaked porcini liquid, and add the porcini in step 5. The wonderful thing about this is being able to pop it in the oven and forget about it until it is time to eat. Its flavour would only benefit from being made in advance.
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 onion, sliced
4 rashers streaky bacon, cut into squares.
700g venison, diced into bite size pieces
2 tbsp flour
400ml game or chicken stock
1. Preheat the oven to 150ºC. If you have an aga use the bottom of the baking oven.
2. Heat the oil in a casserole and fry the onion and bacon until browned. Remove into a bowl and set aside.
3. Adding a little more oil to the casserole if necessary, brown the venison pieces.
4. Sprinkle the flour on top of the meat with some seasoning and stir in.
5. Pour in the Madeira and stir with a wooden spoon, picking up the bits stuck to the bottom and mixing them in (deglazing the pan).
6. Put the onion and bacon back in them pan followed by the stock.
7. Stir it all together and put a lid on. Place it in the oven for about 2 hours, you may need as long as 3, until the meat is tender.
To remain low fat serve with rice and veg – I can’t resist a dollop of soured cream though : ).