Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
This is an adaptation of Jason Goodwin’s poppyseed cake only insofar as this is gluten free and has lemon added. Very delicious and will last longer than your average cake because it is more or less saturated in sugar syrup.
300g granulated sugar
juice of 2 lemons
200g granulated sugar
230ml olive oil
180g gluten free flour with 2/4 tsp xanthum gum or 180g flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
145g poppy seeds
- First make the syrup. Bring the sugar and water to the boil, stirring until the sugar melts. Stir for another five minutes while letting the oven heat up to 180ºC. Set the syrup aside to cool. Add the lemon when it has cooled.
- Pour the sugar into a mixing bowl. Break in the eggs and whisk to a froth. Continue beating as you add the olive oil, then the milk, semolina, flour, baking powder and vanilla. Finally stir in the poppy seeds.
- Grease an 8-inch cake tin and pour in the mixture. Put it in the oven for 45 minutes, until top browns.
- Remove the cake from the oven, pour the syrup evenly over the surface, and set aside to absorb the syrup while it cools.
- Delicious with cream or ice cream.